Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Are you sleepy YET?!


Owen's current sleep needs are driving me batty!! We just can't seem to figure out just how much sleep he really needs in a 24 hour period and when should he get it now that he is giving up his morning nap.

A few weeks ago we experimented with letting him stay awake and play through his usual morning nap time and he did beautiful! He would wake up at 7am, nap at 12:00 for 2 or 2 1/2 hours and would be ready for bed again at 7:30 or so. Not anymore - and I just can't figure it out!!!

The past few mornings he has woken up at 6am!! Uggghhh, WAY too early for me. Yesterday he completely crashed at 9:30am, slept for an hour and a half and was still able to take an afternoon nap as well. Today, however he was up again at 6am and was pretty much fine until I decided to lay him down at noon.

Everyone I talk to about this issue has had different experiences when there little ones gave up the morning nap. Some babies gave it up as early as 13 months and with others it was as late as 20 months. But one thing that was commong was a consistent 7am wake-up time. I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it if I could depend on a consistent wake-up time so I could plan to get up before Owen to start the day on my own for a bit with perhaps some quiet bible/prayer time or exercise. Since mornings are always such a gamble I don't even bother planning because I don't want to start out the day irritated that I don't get to do what I want. Sorry if this post is completely boooooring to whomever may be reading, but hey, it's what's going on in our life these days. SO, of course, if anyone wants to offer advice (or sympathy) comment away!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow. i am no help on this matter.

:-)

Anonymous said...

I feel for you, girl. When our kids starting giving up two daily naps, I would always try to keep them up past lunch time and then put them down and I usually went down, too. Then we were ALL rested.

Donna (Mom & Grandma)

Anonymous said...

I am just trying to figure out the schedule with two naps! He usually ends up taking three, which is fine by me as long as he goes to bed around 7:30pm. Overall though, Nathaniel is a good baby with a regular routine.

Anonymous said...

yes, i do read your blog; fairly regularly actually!


man alive, i'm no help either, and i feel for you b/c it seems like Owen is just one of those kids that doesn't need much sleep! i don't what's going to happen if i end up with one like that~ God's going to strike me b/c Sophia is so much more predictable, i don't realize how fortunate i am.
amy