Saturday, January 14, 2006

Dude, it's 4:20!

Tonight at work I was initiated into the ranks of the cultured and enlightened upon learning what the phrase "420" means. Here's the story: a female server was entering some items on the computer and, noticing the time, exclaimed: "Ha, it's 4:20 pm, that's so funny, dude!" I overheard her comment and immediately asked why that was so significant. "Are you kidding me, you don't know what 420 means?" she responded in utter disbelief. I replied that I did not, though in truth I wasn't sure I wanted to know either. At any rate, she proceeded to circulate the restaurant asking other servers if they knew what "420" meant, and then laughing hysterically when they would invariably give the same answer, "Duh, who doesn't know what 420 means?" Clearly I was missing out on something here. Finally, she explained that "420" refers to what has become the unofficial marijuana day in America (or at least in northwest Arkansas). Apparently, on April 20th every year at 4:20 pm, sophisticated-types from all over light up a joint and get stoned in a dramatic and inspiring act of comraderie and solidarity. One other server summed up the importance of this day quite well: "Dude, 420 is like a holiday for me!" I find it amusing that people who are immersed in that lifestyle cannot imagine there are others who have chosen to live life differently. Truly I am in the minority at that place, perhaps in more ways than one.

3 comments:

Shelli said...

I unfortunately HAVE heard of 420 and about 8 or 9 years ago, I would have proudly partaken of such delight. Oh...the old me.

David said...

I'm such a goody two shoes--I don't even know what pot smells like. Pretty bad, from what I've heard.

Anonymous said...

420 is news to me too. although i've never done drugs nor been in the drug crowd, so how would i know anyways! what a luxury!

i have a couple friends who did a lot of drugs, but they all knew where i stood on the issue, they didn't even bother to try and get me hooked! ;)

pot stinks and it made my friends lazy and unmotivated in life.